(Excerpt from Russ Kick’s 100 Things You’re Not Supposed To Know)
Without even thinking about it, we take it as a given that the police must protect each of us. That’s their whole reason for existence, right?
While this might be true in a few jurisdictions in the US and Canada, it is actually the exception, not the rule. In general, court decisions and state laws have held that cops don’t have to do a damn thing to help you when you’re in danger.
In the only book devoted exclusively to the subject, Dial 911 and Die, attorney Richard W. Stevens writes:
It was the most shocking thing I learned in law school. I was studying Torts in my first year at the University of San Diego School of Law, when I came upon the case of Hartzler v. City of San Jose. In that case I discovered the secret truth: the government owes no duty to protect individual citizens from criminal attack. Not only did the California courts hold to that rule, the California legislature had enacted a statute to make sure the courts couldn’t change the rule.
But this doesn’t apply to just the wild, upside down world of Kalifornia. Stevens cites laws and cases for every state — plus Washington DC, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and Canada — which reveal the same thing. If the police fail to protect you, even through sheer incompetence and negligence, don’t expect that you or your next of kin will be able to sue.
Even in the nation’s heartland, in bucolic Iowa, you can’t depend on 911. In 1987, two men broke into a family’s home, tied up the parents, slit the mother’s throat, raped the 16-year-old daughter, and drove off with the 12-year old daughter (whom they later murdered). The emergency dispatcher couldn’t be bothered with immediately sending police to chase the kidnappers/murders/rapists while the abducted little girl was still alive. First he had to take calls about a parking violation downtown and a complaint about harassing phone calls. When he got around to the kidnapping, he didn’t issue an all-points bulletin but instead told just one officer to come back to the police station, not even mentioning that it was an emergency. Even more blazing negligence ensued, but suffice it to say that when the remnants of the family sued the city and the police, their case was summarily dismissed before going to trial. The state appeals court upheld the decision, claiming that the authorities have no duty to protect individuals.
Similarly, people in various states have been unable to successfully sue over the following situations:
- when 911 systems have been shut down for maintenance
- when a known stalker kills someone
- when the police pull over but don’t arrest a drunk driver who runs over someone later that night
- when a cop known to be violently unstable shoots a driver he pulled over for an inadequate muffler
- when authorities know in advance of a plan to commit murder but do nothing to stop it
- when parole boards free violent psychotics, including child rapist-murderers
- when felons escape from prison and kill someone
- when houses burn down because the fire department didn’t respond promptly
- when children are beaten to death in foster homes
A minority of states do offer a tiny bit of hope. In eighteen states, citizens have successfully sued over failure to protect, but even here the grounds have been very narrow. Usually, the police and the victim must have had a prior “special relationship” (for example, the authorities must have promised protection to this specific individual in the past). And, not surprisingly, many of these states have issued contradictory court rulings, or a conflict exists between state law and the rulings of the courts.
Don’t look to the Constitution for help. “In its landmark decision of DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services,” Stevens writes, “the US Supreme Court declared that the Constitution does not impose a duty on the state and local governments to protect the citizens from criminal harm.”
All in all, as Stevens says, you’d be much better off owning a gun and learning how to use it. Even in those cases where you could successfully sue, this victory comes only after years (sometimes more than a decade) of wrestling with the justice system and only after you’ve been gravely injured or your loved one has been snuffed.
- The New York Times: Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone
- Mises Institute: Police Have No Duty To Protect You, Federal Court Affirms Yet Again
- Warren v. District of Columbia
- Leaked Video Exposes Joe Biden for the THIRD TIME Secretly Allowing Liberal Journalists to Flout His Own Mask Mandate on Federal Property (VIDEO)
- Radical Homosexual Predator Sam Smith Unveils Sick Tattoo of Naked Trans Boy Months After Announcing Imminent Adoption Plans!
- Enormous Mob of Black Lives Matter Terrorists Openly Plot Mass Assassinations of Police Nationwide — “WE’RE SICK! WE’LL SHOOT YOU!” (DISTURBING VIDEO)
- Black Lives Matter Rioters Scream “SOON WE SHOOT BACK!” Hours After BLM Leader Revealed Plan to Commit Mass Assassinations of White Cops Nationwide (VIDEO)
- Journalists, Reporters and Police STAND AND WATCH as Helpless Elderly Trump Supporters Get BEATEN TO A BLOODY PULP by Armed Antifa Militants for Being Christian
REDPILLED Media Exclusives:
- US Capitol Special Agent David Bailey Who Killed Ashli Babbitt is a Brazilian Immigrant and Black Lives Matter Militant — HE REPEATEDLY THREATENED TO KILL TRUMP SUPPORTERS ON FACEBOOK FOR MONTHS! (Exclusive Evidence)
- Diversity Hire Cop David Bailey Who Murdered Ashli Babbitt Was Hired With a Sole Bachelor’s Degree in Physical Education — HE RAKES IN OVER $120K A YEAR!
- Ashli Babbitt’s Killer US Capitol Special Agent David Bailey DELETES ALL OF HIS SOCIAL MEDIA Hours After Our Bombshell Report!
- Lead Suspect in Ashli Babbitt’s Murder Case Was The Only Officer in the Whole US Capitol Without Red-and-White Hazard Tape on his Gun
- FBI Quietly Releases 284-page Report on Nancy Pelosi’s Corrupt Father Exposing Her Brother as a Repeat Child Rapist WHILE THE MEDIA WAS BUSY COVERING THE US CAPITOL PROTEST Wednesday Night! (Nancy Pelosi’s Name is Redacted From All Crimes)
- Obvious Crisis Actor Wearing Custom Mask Delivers Scripted Lines Fed to Him Over Airpods During Interview on Boulder Shooting — Same Witness Appears on Every News Channel (VIDEO)
- Nashville Bomber Anthony Warner Has 10 SURVEILLANCE CAMERAS On The Front Of His House Which Had FOUR OWNERS IN SEVEN MONTHS… and Has a CIA Eagle Above The Front Door!
- Hunter Biden Exposed As Literal Cuckold — Pornhub Logs Reveal Hunter Biden Enjoys Watching Interracial Cuckold Porn… AND A FETISH FOR YOUNG GIRLS! (Indisputable Evidence)
- What The Media Won’t Tell You About Joe Biden’s Radical HHS Nominee Rachel Levine — THE OBESE TRANSGENDER ADVISED CHILDREN TO MASTURBATE TO PORN, SUGGESTED INCEST
- Leaked Video Exposes Joe Biden AGAIN for Allowing Journalists to Flout Mask Mandate as Long as They Hide Behind the Cameras (VIDEO)
- Wikipedia Repeatedly Scrubs All Evidence of Jen Psaki’s Brother’s Position as Portfolio Manager at Citadel 5 TIMES IN A ROW While Twitter and Reddit Get Caught Shadow Banning All Discussion (IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
REDPILLED Media is a bourgeoning independent media organization dedicated to bringing the American people important news stories suppressed by the corrupt and contemptible Mainstream Media.
Bookmark this website and check back daily for exclusive reports on pertinent subjects that Big Tech is trying to suppress. We will not be silenced.
REDPILLED Media will continue to investigate and report on future incidents of this nature. The American people deserve to know the wicked crimes being perpetrated against them and who’s behind it. Consider supporting independent and uncompromisingly-truthful journalism by making a donation to keep our website online. The powers that be don’t like that a single news network can inflict such substantial damage on a regular basis to their nefarious efforts. Thank you for your readership.